Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reserve met?

I had a weak moment last night and decided to list the KS601 on EBay. I have an amount invested so far and if I can make back my investment, plus my seller fees it will go to a new owner.
The amount of money required to properly restore this machine is above what I can spend. My alternative is to modify the bike to accept a BMW engine. The conversion option would take the original value away from the bike but it would be more practical for daily use.
The bidding quickly went up to over $1600.00 in the first 24 hours. There may be a serious collector out there with deeper pockets than mine who will properly restore the machine.
My R100S sidecar rig needs work...rear main seal, possibly a clutch due to oil from the rear main seal, cylinder base gaskets and a new timing chain. Right now I have 4 projects in hand and the Zundapp will be the most costly. So we'll see how the auction goes. If my reserve isn't met, I'll continue on with the work at a slow pace no doubt.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I knew what you got for this 1953. I had one back in the day which was the earlier version with the manual spark advance, and now own a "Running Unrestored" 1952 with flat top pistons which starts and runs like a watch but needs a new owner.

    I have done the "trick" you were unable to do freeing up a long sitting rusted in engine. Marvel Mystery Oil is the wrong stuff to use. A much more volatile solvent is needed. I've used kerosene and WD-40. The other trick is to use shock/vibration from both ends of the connecting rod. Pull the jug, set it upright tap the top of the piston, turn it over and tap the bottom of the connecting rod, and repeat over and over again. Eventually things will free up.

    ReplyDelete